NEW BRIGHTON PLAYGROUND AND POOLS
HEB Construction has worked with Christchurch City Council to ensure that New Brighton's new seaside playground and children's pools are back for the children!
The playground was built on Marine Pde between the existing paddling pool and play area and the public library.
The council's budget funded coastal protection and a contribution to moving the New Brighton Surf Lifesaving Club as well as the playground itself.
After public ideas for the project were gathered, the design was put together with the help of local school children.
The playground has three parts: a water play and splash pad zone, a dry play zone, and a toddlers' zone.
New Brighton's $11m new salt hot pools will be built on the site of the old playground.
The new playground design included:
- A paddling pool and splash pad with water toys
- The whale from the old paddling pool reused with a new water jet
- A 12-metre flying fox, climbing frames and slides
- A tunnel through a boat hull and bird's nest swings
- A toddlers' play area with sand and play structures
- Floor trampolines and a playhouse
- An interactive water-play area where children can create their own water world
- Water cannons and a spin 'n splash pelican
- An alien rainforest and seaweed features
- A dry playground with rope ladders, towers, tunnels, swings, slides and trampolines
- A quieter play areas for adults and children
- Seating, shading and quiet areas for relaxation
- Accessible play equipment for children of all ages and abilities
- Contouring and structures to provide shelter from wind
- Quiet spaces and play items for the disabled.